Tuesday, January 26, 2010

An anomalous Sheaffer Balance



Sheaffer's Balance is the second most prevalent pen in my own collection, following Vacumatic. While I do not hunt it with the same completist bent seen with my Vac collection, I nonetheless greatly enjoy finding "better" pens  and of course unusual variants. Catalogued Balances feature a single cap-band usually of (variable) medium girth, save for the wider solid gold "autograph" band.

My wee hoard of pens with uncatalogued cap-bands includes those with the wide "jeweler's" milled band, double and triple deco band,  and fish-scale band. The double, triple, and fishscale pens are far more uncommon than the other cap-band patterns.

So, I was very happy when at the recent Philadelphia Pen Show, during my final minutes there, I found a variant Sheaffer Balance I'd never seen before.  The contour is that of the humble petite Balance, the slender extra-short model.

http://vacumania.com/penteech2/sheafferbalancejadedoubleband850a.jpg

This is the first pen I've seen in Jade celluloid to have a double cap-band.

And, amongst pens I've seen with the double cap-band, this is the first i've seen with smooth bands, the others having decorative pattern.

A neat find, no doubt.

regards

David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Typical HTML tabs for BROAD and ITALIC should work. Others... maybe not.

Messages are moderated. Moderator often checks in multiple times per day. Please be patient when I have rare vacations :)