Friday, July 31, 2009

Back in stock: "Vacumania" 64-pen travel cases



I just received more of my favorite pen cases. These hold 64 pens very securely while allowing easy access. They can handle large vintage pens with ease; they are what I use to transport 300-400 pens to pen shows, allowing me to set up and break down my table in less than two minutes.

Not only does each of these have a smaller footprint than equivalent storage with two of the common 32-pen cases, but the pens are well more secure, due to the design flaw found in the 32 pen cases, a low-rise "pad" at end of the storage slots, which allows slippage. The cases cost $100 + $12 shipping in USA. Express International Shipping tends to run about $50.

Here is the link to the rather indulgent web page I composed for these.

http://www.vacumania.com/websitesales/forsalepencase64.htm

2 comments:

  1. Hello David, nice to find you again.
    These cases are wonderful but I have a question: do you use them for regular (long term) storage? I have a small case (10 pens) that use this small rubber band to secure the pens to the box and I am always afraid that long term storage could spoil the barrel, esp. those old one in HR or celluloid.

    Thank you for your answer and best of luck with this nice blog.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,

    A good question for which I can give only practical, not theoretical, answer.

    We both know myths of elastic cord... can interact with metal (tarnish), oxidize hard rubber, do who knows what to celluloid. Or... maybe it won't. ;)

    Keep in mind I don't use the word "myth" to signify an untruth. To paraphrase Joseph Campbell (iirc) on myths, myths are something believed by a population to be true whether true or not.

    I certainly cannot rule out that leaving pens bound snugly by the stretch cord might have some long term impact. While I use these mainly for travel with sales stock-- my collection sitting in pen trays in drawers and having no elastic in play-- I have had pens in these cases for more than two years and so far have seen no problems whatsoever. Time will tell. :)

    ReplyDelete

Typical HTML tabs for BROAD and ITALIC should work. Others... maybe not.

Messages are moderated. Moderator often checks in multiple times per day. Please be patient when I have rare vacations :)