Monday, August 31, 2009

A question sent my way, "Correct Parts for Vacumatic?"

Questions regarding old pens, particularly Parker Vacumatics, often cross my desk. Let's address the following...

------

Hi there! First, thanks for the info on your site. It has been very helpful! I bought a junior silver pearl vacumatic at the dc supershow. Love it, but I'm not 100% on the date due to several reasons. So here are the specs:

Dimensions: Posted 6", Capped between 5 1/16" and 5 1/8", barrel diameter at widest: 0.476"
Nib and section: Monotone gold nib with arrow and black section
Cap: no blue diamond jewel but has split arrow Parker clip. Two thin bands
Filling system/blind cap: Speedline/smooth blind cap (no jewel)

Now, using my 10x loupe, I can make out the brand and made in usa, and I can see 3 dots and a horizontal line plus what could be scratches and/or the remainder of the date code. I'm pretty sure it's a 2 or 4 due to the horizontal line, but I can't quite figure out which.

I was wondering two things. First, do you have any pics lying around your computer of what a 2 and/or 4 date code looks like with quarter dots? I was also wondering, if it turns out this pen was made in 42 and not 44, if it is plausible that the speedline filler might be original? I think it's a 42, but I also think that the filler is not original, but then what I know about pens - let alone vacs - well, you certainly will not be impressed :)

I really appreciate your thoughts and time!

------

The pen sounds to be a basically correct Vacumatic Junior: a "full size" pen from that era, similar core structure/contour to Vacumatic Major but with different trim and with bit more narrow nib and feed.

While there might be some pens showing on the website (either in Vacumatic Sales or Vacumatic Sold page) with a highlighted "2" or "4" imprint, I won't have chance to shoot one for next week or so.

The filling unit that many call the Speedline Filler- which Parker never quite did but which is, perhaps, acceptable collector convention- was phased out around the start of 1942, based on observational evidence, but it is clear from that same approach that the subsequent plastic filler did not appear at the very start of the appearance of the "2" imprint, at least not in all models. Senior Maxima pens and occasionally Majors (at least) show up with first quarter 1942 (3 dots around the date) imprints and with metal fillers, though often with a chrome finish to the pump not seen on typical earlier pens. Certainly I would not worry about finding a metal pump in your third generation pen. It has more value as parts than does a plastic pump and will not be viewed as a problem by the overwhelming majority of collectors.




1 comment:

  1. Know anywhere to get a few of the vacumatic replacement piece to repair a couple daily users? thsx. brenda BJIMD@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Typical HTML tabs for BROAD and ITALIC should work. Others... maybe not.

Messages are moderated. Moderator often checks in multiple times per day. Please be patient when I have rare vacations :)