Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Question on Parker Black Giant. Excuse to post a photo.

I received an email day or so back--- "IIRC, and if I recall anything at all, I remember seeing either on Zoss or FPN about two years ago a very worn Parker Black Giant with a name engraved on the cap or barrel that you made a spread into. I wanted to know a. If you still have it, and b. if you would be willing to part with it."                  (Photo shows standard and short Black Giants to scale with a Parker Vacumatic Senior Maxima)

I no longer have that pen. Strange, when I bought it, I thought I'd be owning for the longest haul.  An item of significant cachet, the giant Parker Lucky Curve fountain pen from the 1910's always makes a strong impression.  The example I'd purchased had no fatal flaws. It did have the correct clip (full washer ring, not split in back to suggest adaptation from a smaller pen's clip, though some argue those were original, too). It had significant wear.   I traded it a couple years ago. The recipient was tickled pink to have it, and I was quite content with the material I received in trade.  So it goes.

The pens do turn up. Watch for recoloring (impact on value is... debatable). Check the clip for the "split back".  Look for cracks in rubber or in nib.


  The spread at left shows my Black Giant in  detail. Clicking on image will load it to its own page and then can be magnified to full size.





The #12 nib on the Black Giant always impresses.

1 comment:

  1. I should jump in, since I now own this pen, and provide a little more info.

    As far as wear, it's actually pretty average as Black Giants go. Most BG pens have this type of wear to the imprint, since the imprint was frequently a little light.

    IMHO, the split back clip is not factory original. Many are of a size that would make them a Jack Knife 28 clip that's been opened up, likely done by a dealer.

    Re-blackening is always a debate relative to value. This particular pen has been reblackened and I think it looks a whole lot better. I'll always note to a potential buyer that it's been reblackened, which is as much as you can do.

    ReplyDelete

Typical HTML tabs for BROAD and ITALIC should work. Others... maybe not.

Messages are moderated. Moderator often checks in multiple times per day. Please be patient when I have rare vacations :)