Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hunting Sheaffer Balance with Anomalous Cap-Band: Part 1

1930's Sheaffer Balance pens can be found with relatively (or absolutely) scarce cap-band patterns which appear in no known catalogue.  These include a wide milled cap-band,  the well more  scarce   double and triple cap-band,   and the single "fish scale" band.   Amongst these, the milled cap-band by far is easiest to find. The others are... tough.
Unlike Parker Vacumatic,  I do not collect Balance in a completist fashion, though I grab Balance with these cap-band styles when I can.  For the double, triple and fish-scale bands, I try not to pass on any, only occasionally having skipped one when cost was relatively prohibitive.

Shown in this image is my entire collection of double and triple band Balances, representing probably 7-8 years hunting (I believe I was a couple years into the hobby before encountering my first).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Typical HTML tabs for BROAD and ITALIC should work. Others... maybe not.

Messages are moderated. Moderator often checks in multiple times per day. Please be patient when I have rare vacations :)